The 6 Best Ways to Sell Your Car
- Sell It Privately. Selling a car on your own will ensure you get the most money for it.
- Sell It to a Dealership. Once you visit the dealership, you will receive an appraisal of the value of your vehicle.
- Sell It to CarMax.
- Take Advantage of Autotrader.
- Have the Vehicle Picked Up.
- Trade It In.
The CA DMV requires that you provide:
- Release of your ownership of the car by signing the designating line on the title certificate. Lien holders must also sign the title, if applicable.
- A valid smog certificate, if applicable.
- The odometer reading, if the car is less than 10 years old.
Under Michigan law, a seller is not liable for any damages or a violation of the law caused by the buyer if the seller maintains proof of sale. Keep the license plate that was on the vehicle you sold. You may transfer that plate to another vehicle. Remember to cancel your insurance on the vehicle that you sold.At minimum, you must bring the following with you to transfer ownership:
- The current title signed by the seller.
- A completed Application for Texas Title (Form 130-U) signed by the seller.
- Proof of paid sales tax (if purchasing a car from another state).
- Proof of TX car insurance.
- Release of lien (if applicable).
If You’re Selling a Car in PA
- Print and sign your name in the presence of a notary on the back of the title (in Section A); the buyer must do the same.
- Record the vehicle’s odometer reading.
- Be sure you remove your license plates from the vehicle.
Before you sell your vehicle, make sure to remove the license plates. The plates stay with you, the former owner, rather than remaining with the car itself. You can then transfer the registration and the plate to another vehicle, or surrender it to the Florida DHSMV at a county tax collector’s office.To sell a car independently in North Carolina, you will need to transfer the vehicle title to the buyer. To complete the transfer, you will need the vehicle’s original certificate of title with all of the information on the back of the document completely filled out.When conducting a car transaction in Washington, keep in mind you will need the following to transfer the title of the vehicle:
- Completed Odometer Disclosure Statement signed by the buyer and seller.
- Title with the previous owner’s release signature.
- Bill of sale.
- Emissions certificate, in some Washington counties.
To assign the title:
- Complete the title assignment section of the title certificate, which should include: Buyer’s name and address. Purchase price.
- Complete the odometer reading, and make sure the buyer acknowledged it with a signature.
- Provide a notarized signature on the title.
If you sell it to a private individual, provide the following documents to the new owner:
- Proof of ownership.
- Odometer and damage disclosure statement (if not on the back of the title, use the Odometer and Damage Disclosure Statement (Form MV-103).
- Proof of purchase price or gift.
To complete the auto title transfer for your new vehicle to an Indiana car title:
- Obtain the vehicle title from the seller*, with the following information filled out: The seller’s signature. The date of purchase. The price of sale. Your information indicating you are the buyer.
- Have the seller remove the license plate.
How do you protect yourself when selling a car privately?
Proper steps to take to protect yourself when selling your used car
- Fill out your state’s Notice Of Sale form.
- Don’t let the buyer take your license plates, they must bring their own.
- Always confirm the person buying your car has a valid driver’s license.
- Confirm the person buying your vehicle has valid car insurance.
Can you sell a car for $1?
Selling a car is generally less paperwork than gifting one. This could also save you money on taxes. Yes, the state will want the fair market value as a sales tax. Good luck convincing them that it’s worth closer to $1 than the blue book value.
What paperwork do I need to sell my car?
What Paperwork Do I Need to Complete the Sale of My Car?
- Here’s a checklist of what you should have ready so you can officially close the deal:
- Warranty Documentation.
- “As Is” Documentation.
- Odometer Disclosure.
- The odometer disclosure typically includes:
- Bill of Sale.
What is the best site to sell a car?
Top 13 Sites to Buy and Sell Used Cars
- Cars.com. This site is still the gold standard for auto sales because they syndicate their listings so widely, and they have a huge inventory.
- eBay Motors.
- Facebook Marketplace.